MDRT - Medical Device Reprocessing Technician
MDRT - Medical Device Reprocessing TechnicianSciences de la santé
The Medical Device Reprocessing Technician program is designed to prepare the student to apply principles of infection prevention and proper handling in the decontamination, inspection, assembly, sterilization and storage of reusable patient care equipment and instrumentation in health-care settings.
The program totals 615 hours of training, spread over a maximum of 36 weeks and including 400 hours of practical training in a medical device reprocessing department. Under the supervision of a staff member, the student will observe and work in the different areas of a medical device reprocessing department.
Durée du programme
615 hours of training, spread over a maximum period of 36 weeks
- Understand the functioning of the medical device reprocessing department and the roles and responsibilities of the medical device reprocessing technician.
- Understand the decontamination process in a medical device reprocessing department.
- Know how to do efficient inspection, sorting, assembling, and packaging of medical devices.
- Understand the principles and methods of sterilization.
- High School Diploma (regular courses, modified courses, or a combination of both) or Adult High School DiplomaOr
- “Diplôme d’études secondaires (PCE—see notes 4 and 5)”Or
- “Certificat en compétences essentielles appliquées au programme (PCEA)”Or
- Any transcript containing adapted level or “Programme de compétences essentielles au marché du travail (PCEMT) ” courses will be subject to additional assessment.
- Applications from individuals 21 years or older who do not have a high school diploma will be subject to additional assessment.
- An individual who has completed mathematics courses prior to the new mathematics paths A, B, and C, should consult the guidance counsellor of the CCNB campus where the program is offered in order to determine eligibility toward the chosen program.
- The “Programme de compétences essentielles (PCE)” is a specific high school path which prepares the student for enrollment in one or several pre-established programs leading to one or more trades.
- The application of an individual who has obtained a high school diploma with courses from the “PCE”, and who wishes to change to another field of training, will be subject to an additional assessment.
Aperçu des matières
- Medical device reprocessing
- Decontamination (cleaning and disinfection)
- Preparation and packaging
- Storage and distribution
Renseigements additionnels sur la formation
- Student enrolled in this program will have to deal with the realities of the profession:
- The student admitted into this program must obtain a criminal check and a vulnerable sector check from the local police.
- The student must provide proof of a medical examination and immunization record in accordance with the guidelines of the Collège Communautaire du Nouveau-Brunswick standard medical form and the specific requirements of the placement environment.
- A person with allergies or sensory intolerances (odours, seeing blood, etc.) may experience discomfort in certain practicums and in the workplace.
- In order to work in New Brunswick as a Medical Device Reprocessing Technician, the student must obtain the Certified Medical Device Reprocessing Technician (CMDRT) certification issued by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA).
- As the theoretical part of this program is offered online, the student enrolled must have a basic knowledge of the Windows environment, e-mail, and Internet or in the classroom.
Sanction des études
Aussitôt qu'il satisfait à toutes les conditions du programme, l'étudiant se voit décerner a certificate en Medical Device Reprocessing Technician
This program might interest a person who:
- Has an interest in the healthcare field.;
- Has manual dexterity.;
- Is process and detail oriented.;
- Has good communication skills.;
- Works well in a team environment.;
Perspectives de carrièreMedical Device Reprocessing Technician program graduates are in high demand. You could have a variety of opportunities in health-care facilities, such as hospital medical device reprocessing departments, veterinary clinics, public and private endoscopic clinics, dental clinics and private surgical centres.
Medical device reprocessing technicians operate and maintain a variety of sterilization equipment such as instrument washers, ulrasonic washers, cart washers and steam autoclaves to clean and disinfect surgical instrumentation and equipment for re-use according to standardized safety practices. They reassemble equipment and prepare packs of sterile supplies and instruments for delivery to hospital departments.
Emplois visés :
- Autre personnel de soutien des services de santé
Soins palliatifsCe programme prépare l'étudiant à offrir, avec compassion, un soutien à la personne en fin de vie et à ses proches. L'étudiant qui réussit ce programme est apte à œuvrer au sein d'une équipe interdisciplinaire dont la mission est de soutenir les besoins de la personne recevant des soins palliatifs dans le respect de l'approche holistique.
En savoir plus...
Secourisme général en milieu de travail et RCR - niveau CCe cours permettra à l’étudiant d’acquérir les connaissances et les habiletés nécessaires afin de faire l'évaluation appropriée de situations d'urgence et d’administrer les premiers soins et la réanimation cardiorespiratoire (RCR) en fonction de la scène.
En savoir plus...