MDRT - Medical Device Reprocessing Technician
MDRT - Medical Device Reprocessing TechnicianHealth Sciences
The Medical Device Reprocessing Technician program is designed to prepare the student to apply principles of infection prevention and proper handling in the decontamination, inspection, assembly, sterilization and storage of reusable patient care equipment and instrumentation in health-care settings.
The program totals 615 hours of training, spread over a maximum of 36 weeks and including 400 hours of practical training in a medical device reprocessing department. Under the supervision of a staff member, the student will observe and work in the different areas of a medical device reprocessing department.
615 hours of training, spread over a maximum period of 36 weeks
- Understand the functioning of the medical device reprocessing department and the roles and responsibilities of the medical device reprocessing technician.
- Understand the decontamination process in a medical device reprocessing department.
- Know how to do efficient inspection, sorting, assembling, and packaging of medical devices.
- Understand the principles and methods of sterilization.
- High School Diploma (regular courses, modified courses, or a combination of both) or Adult High School DiplomaOr
- “Diplôme d’études secondaires (PCE—see notes 4 and 5)”Or
- “Certificat en compétences essentielles appliquées au programme (PCEA)”Or
- Any transcript containing adapted level or “Programme de compétences essentielles au marché du travail (PCEMT) ” courses will be subject to additional assessment.
- Applications from individuals 21 years or older who do not have a high school diploma will be subject to additional assessment.
- An individual who has completed mathematics courses prior to the new mathematics paths A, B, and C, should consult the guidance counsellor of the CCNB campus where the program is offered in order to determine eligibility toward the chosen program.
- The “Programme de compétences essentielles (PCE)” is a specific high school path which prepares the student for enrollment in one or several pre-established programs leading to one or more trades.
- The application of an individual who has obtained a high school diploma with courses from the “PCE”, and who wishes to change to another field of training, will be subject to an additional assessment.
- Medical device reprocessing
- Decontamination (cleaning and disinfection)
- Preparation and packaging
- Storage and distribution
Additional Training Informations
- Student enrolled in this program will have to deal with the realities of the profession:
- The student admitted into this program must obtain a criminal check and a vulnerable sector check from the local police.
- The student must provide proof of a medical examination and immunization record in accordance with the guidelines of the Collège Communautaire du Nouveau-Brunswick standard medical form and the specific requirements of the placement environment.
- A person with allergies or sensory intolerances (odours, seeing blood, etc.) may experience discomfort in certain practicums and in the workplace.
- In order to work in New Brunswick as a Medical Device Reprocessing Technician, the student must obtain the Certified Medical Device Reprocessing Technician (CMDRT) certification issued by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA).
- As the theoretical part of this program is offered online, the student enrolled must have a basic knowledge of the Windows environment, e-mail, and Internet or in the classroom.
Sanction of studies
Upon successful completion of the prescribed curriculum, the student will receive a certificate in Medical Device Reprocessing Technician.
This program might interest a person who:
- Has an interest in the healthcare field.;
- Has manual dexterity.;
- Is process and detail oriented.;
- Has good communication skills.;
- Works well in a team environment.;
Employment OpportunityMedical Device Reprocessing Technician program graduates are in high demand. You could have a variety of opportunities in health-care facilities, such as hospital medical device reprocessing departments, veterinary clinics, public and private endoscopic clinics, dental clinics and private surgical centres.
Medical device reprocessing technicians operate and maintain a variety of sterilization equipment such as instrument washers, ulrasonic washers, cart washers and steam autoclaves to clean and disinfect surgical instrumentation and equipment for re-use according to standardized safety practices. They reassemble equipment and prepare packs of sterile supplies and instruments for delivery to hospital departments.
Targeted careers :
- Other assisting occupations in support of health services
Secourisme avancé en merCe cours permettra à l’étudiant de développer les habiletés afin d’apporter le secours nécessaire à une personne ayant subi un accident ou un traumatisme. L’étudiant sera prêt à prodiguer les premiers soins et à être désigné comme responsable des soins médicaux à bord du bâtiment.
Service de soutien aux personnes atteintes d'Alzheimer et autres démencesLe programme Service de soutien aux personnes atteintes d'Alzheimer et autres démences vise à préparer l'étudiant à oeuvrer auprès de personnes atteintes, et ce, en tant qu'aidant naturel ou soignant dans un cadre institutionnel. Le programme offre une formation qui traite des éléments physiques, physiologiques, psychologiques et sociologiques, permettant ainsi de se familiariser avec toutes les facettes en la matière.
Secourisme général en milieu de travail et RCR - niveau CCe cours permettra à l’étudiant d’acquérir les connaissances et les habiletés nécessaires afin de faire l'évaluation appropriée de situations d'urgence et d’administrer les premiers soins et la réanimation cardiorespiratoire (RCR) en fonction de la scène.